Thursday, January 26, 2012

How do I get started?

A few of the phrases I constantly hear from other moms and parents alike when it comes to cooking fresh and healthy food for their families are: "I don't have the time to cook meals from scratch." or "Isn't cooking healthy, fresh, organic food expensive?" or "My husband eats meat but I'm a vegetarian. How do I make dishes that are equally nutritious and delicious for both our palates?" or "Someone in my family has an intolerance to gluten or lactose or maybe even a special diet, how do I cook for the whole family without having to make a special meal for just one person?" It is possible to eat nutritious, delicious, cost-effective, time-sensitive, even organic meals; you just have to make cooking them a priority.








2 comments:

  1. Hi Claire! I need serious spice jar organization! I've got so many now I have not only over loaded the spice rack but also the bottom shelf of the cabinet above it. I can't get one of those drawers that display the jars on an angle. So...any ideas??

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine,
    My first suggestion would be to reevaluate what spices you have. Do you have multiples of anything? Are any of your ground spices over a year old? If so, pare down on any of the old or extras. Next I would suggest a Sterilite organizing system. I use a three drawer system like the one pictured in the 'Speed Rack' picture. Label the top drawer "Most Often Used", the middle drawer "Savory Spices" and the bottom drawer "Baking Spices." If you keep it out on a counter-top you'll find yourself using spices more. Sometimes the problem can be out of sight, out of mind. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete